Awareness of Self
Awareness of Self:
Here’s a fun exercise. Go into your room and take note of what is present around you
- A cluttered desk piled with papers/receipts/plastic bags/concert tickets
- An ironing board I took from outside the street with dirty/clean clothes piled on top
- Mismatched socks on the floor
- Posters/colors/pictures/decorations covering every inch in my room
Let your awareness take in everything
- Do I see order or disorder?
- Do I see my uniqueness?
- Do I see how I really feel?
- Do I see what I really want?
What does this stand for?
- inner disorder
- fear of meeting one’s obligations
- accepting too much responsibility
- ignoring mundane details
Conclusion: The environment I surround myself in as I wake up and as I sleep is not conducive for me having peace of mind.
Now step into your social world. When you are with your family or friends, listen with your inner ear to what is going on.
- Do I hear happiness?
- Does being with these people make me feel alive, alert?
- Is there an undertone of fatigue, boredom, saying things just to be saying them?
- Is this just a familiar routine, or are these people really responding to each other?
Are you being authentic with yourself? We fear to be seen as inauthentic sometimes out of fear of being judged/shamed/rejected, so we do things that we don’t really care about doing and say things we don’t 100% believe in saying…and then we end up being, sincere, at best. However sincerity is NOT authenticity. Take a moment and reflect on whether your intuition can pick up on whether a “wow, funny bumping into you here! We’ll have to catch up soon!” is just a sincere go-to response or if there’s a voice of authenticity behind these words…
- At my worst: I feel antsy, restless, want to have more options and choices available. Become adventurous and “worldly wise” but less focused. Uninhibited, fear of being bored, in perpetual motion, but do too many things–many ideas but little follow through
- At my best, I breathe in my environment and feel totally present and emotionally deeply grateful and appreciative for what I have. Become awed by the simple wonders of life: joyous and ecstatic. Feel connected with the world and everyone in it. Love of people and boundless goodness of life make me want to scream with joy. I’m satisfied with the results that I produce.
- “I know more than I think I do”
- “I have the tools and the resources to live my dreams but fear of uncertainty is holding me back”
- “I need to find out what I like and what I don’t like”
- “I need to get out of my comfort zone”
- My mind is becoming restless and I want to calm down
- I need to love and trust myself before I can love anybody else
- I am acting out of complete integrity
- My actions symbolize who I am and why I am here
- I gave up having control and will react to what will come to me
- I realize that I am cared for and loved
- I realize that my life has purpose and that I matter
- I sense that random events are not random
- I see that I am unique
- I realize that life has the ability to run itself
- I realize with wonder that life is infinitely worthwhile and full of possibilities
– Influences from LandMark Education, The Book of Secrets, Enneagram tests.